Pages

Saturday, July 23, 2011

The Canary List by Sigmund Brouwer

Enjoy my first review for Blogging for Books.

Beginning to read The Canary List, the author immediately makes you want to read more and find the answers to your many questions. You meet a young, foster child named Jaimie Piper and think she's just another ordinary kid wishing she had a better life. Then she says that she is being hunted by evil. Instantly you wonder what this evil is and how her bracelet is able to protect her from the terrifying feelings she has around these evil people.

Through the story you are slowly revealed little pieces of information and you try, along with the characters, to figure out where it's all leading. You see the story from several people's perspectives and then you wonder how the Vatican is involved as it gets more and more complex.

My main issue with this book was that they would dessert a characters point of view and move to another part of the story. Sure, it made me want to keep reading to figure out what would happen for those characters, but it didn't always return to that character's point of view for very long. But, as much as the book frustrated me, there is no denying that it kept me interested and reading.

Overall, it seemed a bit scattered and the writing was a little simple. I would say that this book would be better suited as a prequel to establish Jaimie Piper's identity and how her life began. It would be nice to see her character again in a book series centered exclusively around her.

I don't think I'd recommend it to my friends, just because it became really confusing at times. Because they skipped around so much I would forget where it had left the last character when they returned from a faraway character's perspective. I think it's confusing nature was the reason I had to keep reading. I just wanted to finish the story and get to the ending but when I finally got there is was disappointing and inconclusive.

No comments:

Post a Comment